Total Pageviews

Tuesday 13 September 2011

Not a bad first shot

Its Tuesday the 13th of September and yesterday I cycled a bicycle. That's right, I did it. After a challenging start involving WD-40and a stubborn bicycle seat, Ewan gallantly lent me his bicycle (seat suitably lowered) and so began the incredible journey.



 We started by attempting to roll down the hill outside Ewans house, after finding the comination of the high seat and my stumpy legs a stumbling block we swapped bicycles and before long the wind was flowing through my bald patches. I felt like I had E.T. in the basket infront, I felt like De Caprio and Winslet in Titanic, I believed I could fly.



With renewed vigour we relocated the training to Dalry Public Park. After rolling downhill again something happened, my feet seemed to find the pedals and I began to cycle, albeit wobbly and slowly, but I was cycling nonetheless. We regrouped behind the bowling club and set off on my first intentional cycle, all was going swimmingly until we encountered a bumpy puddle ridden section of footpath. As Ewan powered through with the ease and expertise only experience can give you I faltered and flapped. My first fall could have been worse, I wasn't flat on my face but my hands did find the muddiest part of the park, nothing a splash in a puddle couldn't wash off then back into the saddle.


We continuedand things were promising apart from a brief downhill adventure where I found myself ankle deep in a quagmire. I then completed my longest run to date tackling puddles along the way. Then came the challenge, go up a slope. Having known Ewan for the better part of 20 years he knows the motivation that will work. So with the promise of a small Donner Kebab (salad and sauce seperate) and chips, defeat was never an option. I powered through and over the incline and with the inspiriation coursing through my veins even tackled some speed bumps. The Kebab was mine.


Sitting here today on an arse that feels like its gone ten rounds with Mike Tyson (Prison years) I am proud and look forward to carrying on this journey. Looking back at the videos I can't believe it's me riding a bicycle and even though it may look like I have defecated in all the excitement I can confirm it was merely the spray from the tyres, the tyres I cycled on.

Gregor

No comments:

Post a Comment